As President of the New York Chapter of the AMHE, I would like to thank you for your interest in our organization. The New York Chapter of the Association of Haitian Physicians Abroad (AMHE) is a 39 year old membership not-for-profit organization of over 1000 physicians of Haitian ancestry. We are represented in clinical practice and academia throughout the state of New York. The primary focus of the organization is to assist in meeting the health care needs of the community-at-large and to provide professional development opportunities for physicians.
The commitment of the AMHE- New York is demonstrated in our continuing efforts to address the healthcare needs of Haiti. Over the past 10 years, AMHE – New York has organized:
- Disaster relief Missions during the Hurricane seasons and at times of major disasters
- Visiting Professor Programs at the State University Medical School, at Notre-Dame and Quisqueya Schools of Health Sciences and at Justinien University Hospital
- Haiti Relief Missions providing clinical and academic support to the State University General Hospital of Port-au-Prince
- Dialysis program at the General Hospital in Port-au-Prince
- Center for diagnosis and treatment of HIV/AIDS at the General Hospital
- The refurbishing of the (Medical) Students’ House, providing low cost meals to medical students
- Low cost meals to interns and residents at General Hospital
- Batey Relief Missions on behalf of the sugar cane plantation workers, deprived of access to proper medical care.
- Weekly health awareness and education broadcast on Radio Soleil
- Health Fairs at various churches throughout Brooklyn, Queens and Connecticut
- Guidance for young Haitian/Haitian American physicians applying for residency programs
- Clinical Rotations for Haitian residents or young physicians in Medical Centers in the US
The New York Chapter of the AMHE strongly believes that in Unity, We Find Strength.